Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Barge Inn - The untold story behind the famous crop circle pub. By Colin Andrews

The pub is now up for sale.

Most people visiting the Barge Inn at Honeystreet, near Alton Barnes in Wiltshire, England are unaware that had I not one day during the summer of 1993 asked Adrian the landlord if he would consider allowing me to park my caravan in the unused and overgrown field behind the pub, its highly unlikely the pub would be the hub of activity it is today. Read on.

The day I opened the creaky door into the lounge bar, I was greeted (hardly the word though) by three locals sat there staring at me as if I was ET itself. The locals had experienced the big pictogram in East Field, Alton Barnes two years earlier but the circles had not become regular visitors by then. This poorly decorated and unfriendly pub was only used by a handful of locals and the handful of barges on the Kennett canal running alongside the pub to keep them ticking over. Crop Circle mania was but weeks away. Adrian agreed to my suggestion and cut a 90 feet long pathway from the metal gate into the pasture behind the pub, to a spot conveniently behind the bar window and under an overhanging tree for shelter.

Few would know the famous faces that visited the little caravan as more and more of the public got to hear that I was there............................Read the full story / Reg Presley / Sting / Jon Anderson / Sarah Miles / Colin Firth / Annie Haslam etc etc. . . .

http://www.colinandrews.net/BargeInnPub.html